Sunday, October 14, 2012


Hot Mama

Can you guess what is the number one menopausal symptom for North American women?  That’s right – Hot flashes. (Also known as hot flushes, warm flashes, night sweats, slow embers, and infernal internal inferno. Ok, maybe I made that last one up.)  It’s interesting that 80-90% of American women reportedly deal with hot flashes during those middle-age years, while our sisters in India and Asia hardly ever break a sweat.  Another interesting bit of trivia – Did you know that we will observe “World Menopause Day 2012” this coming Thursday?!  A whole day dedicated to menopause.  I don’t know how you plan on celebrating, but as for me, I have a GYN appointment at 1 PM to commemorate this auspicious occasion!  Woo hoo.   

I read a statement made by the president of the International Menopause Society (IMS) that you might find encouraging if you feel like you’re suffering in silence, trying to just grin and bear it: “Too often the distressing symptoms associated with the menopause (yes…”THE” menopause) are not taken seriously enough... A woman can’t just “grin and bear it” – if only it were that simple…For most women there are ways of overcoming these problems, and a woman going through a difficult menopause should make sure that she talks this over with her doctor to find the best solution for her.”  I take comfort in the fact that people understand that these symptoms can be distracting and sometimes disruptive to our lives.  I’m also glad to know that there actually may be appropriate ways to deal with these crazy manifestations! 

So – what is a hot flash any way?  According to the Mayo Clinic, hot flashes are sudden feelings of warmth, which are usually most intense over the face, neck and chest.  Some women appear to blush in their cheeks, and some begin to sweat profusely, or start shaking with chills.  As with many of the peculiarities of the human condition, no one is absolutely sure what happens physiologically inside the woman’s body to produce these waves of heat, however, many agree that it probably has something to do with a shift in estrogen which then interferes with the functioning of the “thermostat”. (the hypothalamus – an area located at the base of your brain.)   Quite often, a woman’s core temperature actually rises by a degree or two during a hot flash.   Hot flashes typically last between 2-4 minutes although some report feeling extra warm for up to a half hour.  (These are called slow embers.)   Many women struggle with them for a couple years prior to menopause and some continue to have warm flashes even well past the onset of menopause.
  
In preparation for the writing of this post, I had two hot flashes today.  I didn’t CHOOSE to have these hot flashes, mind you, but rather they chose me.  As with the insomnia of last week, I am choosing to redeem the event by writing about it and sharing it with you!  

It’s hard to know how to dress for a hot flash day, not that I ever know when they’re going to hit.  I find it especially challenging during autumn, when outside temperatures are so very unpredictable.   These days, I often dress in layers: tank or T-shirt, a blouse over top of that, a sweater on top of that and today – a lovely Italian neck scarf.  On my way to church, I stepped outdoors to temps in the 60s and did pretty well all morning, that is, until I lingered in conversation with a friend after the service concluded.   There she was, sharing with me the details of her life and I’m tracking pretty well until the heat hits me.  Whoosh!  Whoa – I pull off my stylish scarf and grab the back of a chair because although I’m not at all dizzy, I feel a little thrown off by the overwhelming attack of fire that originates from deep within my core and I am completely distracted.   Not wanting to be rude, I politely nod as my friend continues with her story although I confess, I’m only truly hearing about every fifth word.  “…home…car…time…see...” to which I reply with a smile, “Good, good.”  A second later I realize in horror that she was talking about someone involved in a car accident.  Oops – now I’m red in the face for a completely different reason. 

The intensity of this hot flash lasts for no more than 2-4 minutes, but I continue to feel warmish for a while longer before another heat wave hits.  I wish I could just close my eyes and pretend I’m on a summertime beach vacation but it doesn’t work that way.  Hot flashes are stifling, disorienting, overwhelming and terribly unpleasant.  My heart races in response. Ugh. I hop in the car and blast the air conditioner on high – apologies to my son, who has to share my arctic air space for the ride home.  Once home, I race upstairs to get into my summer clothes and relax outside for much of the afternoon, enjoying the refreshing breeze.  Ahhh, to be normal again.  

Dealing with the Hot Flash Intrusion
There is hope!  Although there is no treatment to completely remove the incidence of hot flashes, there are many quality recommendations to help us deal with them.  Below is a list of helpful hints and treatments for your consideration. 

Dress in layers
Avoid heated environments
Avoid stress and promote relaxation (women with anxiety are at significant increased risk of suffering from intense and frequent hot flashes.)
Avoid smoking, caffeine, alcohol, and spicy foods.
Drink iced beverages
Focused deep abdominal breathing for 15 minutes twice a day.
Exercise (this is on every healthy list known to man)
Climb into your chest freezer (this is a joke. Please do NOT climb into your chest freezer no matter how tempted you are!)
Eat a Healthy diet
Air conditioner/fan
Flaxseed (some discrepancy of its effectiveness)
Soy (some discrepancy of its effectiveness)
Vitamin B Complex and Vitamin E

Black Cohosh
Natural Progesterone Cream
Hormone Replacement Therapy (there are some medical risks)
Anti-depressants such as Zoloft (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors)
Gabapentin  (A drug typically used to treat headaches)

If you’re considering trying any of the suggestions on the lower list, you will want to be sure to consult with your physician.  I hope you’re able to find the solutions that work for you.   As always – if you have a secret remedy that has worked for you, by all means, please share your thoughts!  We are in this together and some of your sisters are currently wiping their sweaty brows and fanning there flushed faces, longing for a reprieve.

And now may God Almighty grant you air conditioning in your hour of need. 

No comments:

Post a Comment