Sunday, October 28, 2012


You’re NOT Going Crazy!

During this season of hormonal changes and physical symptoms, I’ve been able to commiserate with a couple of unlikely young women experiencing adjustments of their own.  My daughter is almost three months pregnant and my daughter-in-law is four and half months along.    It’s interesting to me that we share many similar symptoms:  indigestion, fatigue, nausea, foggy brain, memory lapses, moodiness, and the ever expanding waistline.   The one glaring difference of course, is that my personal journey will not result in a new baby! (And yes – I’m sure.  A negative pregnancy test taken one week ago proves it!)  Part of the personal perks of this season of life includes the blessing of grandchildren; part of the challenge is learning to adjust to the hormonal storms that come and go without warning.

Those of us who have been pregnant and experienced labor and delivery know that every woman’s experience is incredibly different.  I have a friend whose first labor was 36 hours.  Mine was 45 minutes.  (Totally not fair, I know.) Because every woman is different, their experience of perimenopause and menopause will also be different.  Some women begin to experience perimenopausal symptoms in their 30s, some sail right on through the hormonal adjustments of menopause without even breaking a sweat.  (I’m not jealous – Ok, maybe a little bit.)  As soon as I think I’ve experienced every possible symptom known to woman-kind, a new one shows up on the horizon and I’m forced to find new grace to adapt.   I think the hardest part of this whole season is the unpredictability – I don’t like surprises.  Like most women, I prefer a little more control over life.  Some menopausal women report feeling like they’re going crazy and although some of that sense may be directly attributed to the very real hormonal changes occurring internally, I also believe it may be related, quite simply, to that feeling of the loss of control. Let me assure you: You’re NOT going crazy.  Similar to labor and delivery, we’re just going through a natural process of change that is not the end, but actually the threshold of a new life adventure.   Just breathe.

Someone came up with a list of 35 perimenopausal symptoms.   I find it incredibly comforting to know that some new, weird symptom I’m having might be something other sisters have experienced before me, thus making me “normal…ish”.  Knowing that my sore tongue, for instance, might NOT be some exotic incurable disease, but actually be indicative of this lovely change of life helps me breathe a little easier and find some peace to go with the flow.   

About a month ago, my ears suddenly started ringing.  It was loud, obnoxious, unrelenting and rather disconcerting and what’s more – it’s still going on.   I went to the chiropractor to have my neck adjusted, hoping for some relief, but alas, that didn’t do the trick. And then I checked the 35-symptom list.  Guess what is the 35th symptom?  Yep – that’s right: ear ringing.  Can you believe it?  I have no idea what is the physiologic reason behind the ear ringing but as with many other things happening in life right now, I just chock it up to the same overarching troublemaker: hormones.  (By the way, I experienced ear ringing during the birth of my first child as well.  Hmmm…Interesting.)

So, here’s the list.  Personally, I have experienced as many as 26 of those listed below.  How about you?

1.     Hot flashes, flushes, night sweats and/or cold flashes, clammy feeling

2.     Irregular heart beat

3.     Irritability

4.     Mood swings, sudden tears

5.     Trouble sleeping through the night (with or without night sweats)

6.     Irregular periods; shorter, lighter periods; heavier periods, flooding; phantom periods, shorter cycles, longer cycles

7.     Loss of libido

8.     Dry vagina

9.     Crashing fatigue

10.  Anxiety, feeling ill at ease

11.  Feelings of dread, apprehension, doom

12.  Difficulty concentrating, disorientation, mental confusion

13.  Disturbing memory lapses

14.  Incontinence, especially upon sneezing, laughing; urge incontinence

15.  Itchy, crawly skin

16.  Aching, sore joints, muscles and tendons

17.  Increased tension in muscles

18.  Breast tenderness

19.  Headache change: increase or decrease

20.  Gastrointestinal distress, indigestion, flatulence, gas pain, nausea

21.  Sudden bouts of bloat

22.  Depression 

23.  Exacerbation of existing conditions

24.  Increase in allergies

25.  Weight gain

26.  Hair loss or thinning, head, pubic, or whole body; increase in facial hair

27.  Dizziness, light-headedness, episodes of loss of balance

28.  Changes in body odor

29.  Electric shock sensation under the skin and in the head

30.  Tingling in the extremities

31.  Gum problems, increased bleeding

32.  Burning tongue, burning roof of mouth, bad taste in mouth, change in breath odor

33.  Osteoporosis (after several years)

34.  Changes in fingernails: softer, crack or break easier

35.  Tinnitus: ringing in ears, bells, 'whooshing,' buzzing etc.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment